Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Progress - 3

Tender: Brickyard BBQ, Burlington, WI

Classification:  Upscale

Date & Time: 8:30 PM, Friday November 22, 2013

Intro:  The Brickyard BBQ isn't known for their tenders.  They specialize in Southern Style BBQ and lesser cuts of meat, primarily focusing on beef.  They do tout their special Root Beer BBQ sauce.



The Order:  I was a bit skeptical of the $5.95 price point.  I was unsure of whether or not ordering the tenders, along with a side of fries, would be enough to satisfy my voracious appetite on this particular evening.  My dinner guest and I were given a complimentary beer. I theorized the restaurant must have figured out who I was and were trying to pad their tender score.  This tactic, though friendly, would certainly not affect my critique of their tenders.



The Meal:  I was served 2 baskets.  One was almost over flowing with french fries and the other was packed full of tenders.  I was stoked!  The first bite, always a clean bite with no sauce, was magnificent.  The chicken was astoundingly tender.  The fries had the perfect depth/width ratio, and were cripy yet soft on the inside.  The root beer BBQ sauce was a bit on the disappointing side.  It was very runny, and I believe they simply added root beer and BBQ sauce to a bottle and shook it up.  The flavor was excellent, but the execution of the sauce was sub-par.  Whatever ranch sauce this place uses is top notch, and I required 2 cups.






Brickyard BBQ Chicken Tender Score:  

Outer Layer - 7.8/10 

Chicken - 9/10

Overall - 5 Strip Basket

This was one of the finer tender moments in my life.  The heaping basket of fries, and numerous tenders had me smiling the entire meal.  The wait staff at this restaurant was excellent, though it did take a while for us to get out bill.  Be prepared to have a stock pile of napkins at your disposal, especially if you decide to try the root beer BBQ sauce.  This tender has a very high tender score, but what hindered its performance was a poor chicken to outer layer ratio.  The chicken was amazing, but i wish there had been more of it in each tender.



 A Nugget on the McNugget:  At the Beijing Olympic games, Usain Bolt ate an estimated 1,000 McNuggets in the 10 days he spent there.

<script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-2267241166453059"
     crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written and a sound analysis. I must admit though, from a reader's perspective, the author seems to be more concerned about the french fries than the actual tenders. If this truly is a blog about chicken tenders, why as a reader do I feel the focus shifting away from chicken in favor of potatoes? pretty pissed off right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. SirCharles, it is hard for me to understand how you feel this blog is shifting to more of a potato blog. I appreciate your piddly attempt at constructive criticism, but I feel you have missed the mark....by a lot. I count only one sentence in this blog post solely devoted to the french fries. As the author of this blog I feel it is important to hit on more aspects of my meal than just the tenders. This provides the reader with a more detailed description of how to enjoy their tender moments. French fries are, in most cases,a crucial part of each tender moment. If I was to go into detail of only the tenders, I feel I would be shortchanging the reader. Please do continue to follow this blog, and I will attempt to keep you satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. strike...strike true, Todd. you needn't worry about me continuing to follow this blog. I'm a lifer. I love seeing homeless people trying to formulate sentences and paragraphs. I anxiously await your next entry on french fries, I mean chicken tenders. Although I'm sure that won't be until until late 2014 at this rate...Todd seems to be awfully busy lately, or just doesn't really give a shit about his readers. Either way, fuck Todd. Deuces. Until next year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you saying that the outer layer had too much volume relative to the volume of chicken when discussing the chicken:outer layer ratio? If so, how the fuck does that happen? When it comes to shortchanging the reader, I am shortchanged every time I type dipemdeep.blogspot.com into the search engine. I figure it's better than reading about what Miley twerked on last night, though.

    @SirCharles... or is it TwoBuckChuck? If you read one of the first posts, you will clearly read that this blog will not only be rating tenders, but other items as well.

    You can bet that next time I visit Burlington, WI (which I hope never happens) I will be in a seat at Brickyard BBQ ordering some tenders. Maybe I'll just get the Root Beer BBQ in a funnel with clear rubber hose so I can bong that shit.

    ReplyDelete